Here are two of our most favorite things to eat. :) This is a great combination. Top the ratatouille with seared sea bass. :) Enjoy!
Risotto (Mario Batali recipe)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2-ounce dried porcini broken into pieces with your hands
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock, hot
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for sprinkling
In a 12 to 14-inch skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and translucent but not browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Once the onions are translucent add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until toasted and opaque, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the dried porcini.
Add the wine to the toasting rice, and then add a 4 to 6-ounce ladle of stock and cook, stirring, until it is absorbed. Continue adding the stock a ladle at a time, waiting until the liquid is absorbed before adding more. Cook until the rice is tender and creamy and yet still a little al dente, about 15 minutes. Stir in the butter and cheese until well mixed. Portion risotto into 4 warmed serving plates, serving with extra cheese.
Ratatouille (Curtis Stone recipe)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large shallots, cut into ½ - inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ eggplant, unpeeled, cut into ½ - inch pieces
- 2 zucchini, cit into ½ - inch pieces
- ½ small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into ½ - inch pieces
- ½ small yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into ½ - inch pieces
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 1 pound ripe plum tomatoes (about 6), cut into ½ - inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Place a medium saucepan over medium heat, and drizzle the oil into it. Add the shallots and garlic, and sauté for 2 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the eggplant, zucchini, and bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until the eggplant is tender. Add the red wine, then the tomatoes, and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 8 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft and broken down.
- Season the ratatouille generously with salt and black pepper. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil. Serve warm.